After several years of East Oak Lane residents petitioning city government to have a fire station built in their neighborhood, one was built in 1916 at 1210 W. Oak Lane Avenue. Its first occupant was Chemical 8 which had been moved from its former station further south at Old York Road & Nedro Avenue. Its apparatus was a 1915 Mack combination hose & chemical wagon. This motorized apparatus didn’t have a pump, but could deliver water through a hose line by dumping soda acid into its water tanks. Enough water to put out small fires.
On September 17, 1916, Ladder 17 was organized in this station.
On January 1, 1925, Chemical 8 members were disbanded and then used to organize Engine 63 at the same location. An additional piece, a 1923 American LaFrance 900 gpm pumper, was added to the new engine company. In 1950, construction of a new station to house Engine 63 and Ladder 17 was started at 1224 W. Oak Lane Avenue. The station was completed on March 23, 1951. However, Ladder 17 would be disbanded on July 1, 1988.
Today, Engine 63 and Medic 56B serve the East Oak Lane neighborhood from this station.